Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Day #2...Changes

"If we teach today as we taught yesterday, then we rob our children of tomorrow." 
John Dewey

I think some of the teachers at my school need to read this quote and adapt? I can't imagine teaching the way that I was taught. Nothing would ever get done and those complaints about being bored would truly be merited!!! Ask these kids today what is the Dewey Decimal System, what is an Atari, or even an abacus, they would probably look at you with the biggest daze on their faces? 

I know that my children are far more advanced than I ever was at the age, but I also know that they are very impatient. Things today can be gotten at a minutes notice and without any real work. I think that may be one of the problems of society. The ease with which things can be gotten is a problem that is creating ripple effects that maybe we will not see for a few more years. Look at our test scores as a nation? No Child Left Behind is leaving every child in the dust. It is going to be scary to see where this all ends up.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment